Friday 29 June 2012

Kids in the Kitchen

Amazing what Social Media can do in the time it takes to blink an eye!

It all started with a tweet.  It looked something like this:

And then, because I can't help myself- I replied.



And when I woke up the next morning- there was an avalanche of tweets back and forth and up and down and swirling in circles that I could barely follow!

So the idea grew.  And volunteers stepped forward.  Suggestions were made.  We may have even volun-told  a few people, I'm not entirely sure!  But one thing was certain.  We all agree that healthier children mean healthier communities- better food choices mean healthier children, and what better place to start but with our own.  Can Belleville, Ontario support this?

We have a few questions- like whether or not there is enough interest in our area to hold classes for kids that want to learn more about cooking and making healthier choices.  Are there venues in the area that would allow use of space?  Do we need insurance?  Are any local businesses on board for giving us a break on ingredients?  Is there a local Nutritionist that would be willing to look over menu?  Jamie Oliver Food Revolution style?

What do you think?  Any suggestions, comments, feedback or ideas are welcome!

"You have to feed a community to help it grow.  Participate.  Lend a hand.  Show your support.  You will be surprised at the results!"

3 comments:

  1. I think it's a great idea. If the kids could cook with wine I would help! Otherwise what about using local produce (farmers and gardens) for part of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering about approaching some of the vendors at the Farmers Market. That way we get great LOCAL produce- it always tastes so much better! Thanks so much for the feedback! I'll keep you posted, but I doubt we'll be adding wine to any of the recipes! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I didn't think wine would make the cut, but do keep me in mind if you do go ahead with it. My son loves to help in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete